There’s this older gentleman who lives behind my mother’s house named Morgan. Morgan has this beautiful small farm/large garden (farden?) where for years he’s grown corn and lettuce and small trees and he works incredibly hard to make it bountiful.
Finally two summers ago, Morgan decided to share the wealth of his gargantuan zucchini with us. And, trust me, our lives and our summers have never been the same. Photo example below.
Every few weeks, he presents us with 4-5 unbelievably ridiculous-sized zucchini and when it’s just my mom and me, we have a hard time figuring out what the heck to do with it. So, tonight definitely called for a healthy and light summer dinner–fritters! These fritters have a slight kick and are a super flavorful gluten-free, dairy-free dinner option. I obviously topped it with a perfect fried egg to add a little extra somethin. And it might just get me through the 10 pounds of zucchini in my kitchen.
Gluten-Free Summer Zucchini Fritters
1 large zucchini, shredded
1 small onion, shredded
1 cup carrot sticks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup, gluten-free flour
1 tsp, kosher salt
1 tsp, ground black pepper
(optional) 2 eggs
1. Place shredded zucchini and onion in a bowl. Using a thin, clean towel or cheesecloth, squeeze as much moisture as possible out of the vegetables. Add back to the bowl.
2. Add the carrots and garlic and mix until combined.
3. Add the egg, cayenne, flour, salt and pepper, and mix well until combined.
4. Heat a grill pan at medium heat and coat with nonstick spray. Form small patties and place on the grill pan, cooking 4-5 minutes per side. (TIP: Place a pot lid over the fritters to help the insides cook.)
5. Once you flip the fritters, cook up a fried egg to place on top. This is totally optional, but totally recommended.